Midi Sync between Ableton and Waves
Assuming you are using a Mac for each machine.
And they are on the same network/subnet
Step 1, Ableton setup
• Open Ableton Preferences and turn on OUTPUT "IAC Driver" and OUTPUT "Network" (The name after will change after Step 2)
• Sync Type to Midi Clock
• Midi Clock Type to SONG
• Open Audio and Midi Preferences
• Open the IAC Driver and confirm it is online.
• Still in Audio Midi Preferences
• Open Midi Network Setup
• My Sessions (+) To create a new session
• Name as you want
• Port 5004
• auto populated name
Step 4 • Create a similar profile on the partner machine (see step 3)
• Port 5004
• (I am a bit grey on this step as this was trial and error)
• On the Waves Machine, locate the directory in the Midi Network Setup ( Same screen as above)
• Select your parter machine and press "Connect" (Mine timed out a few times)
Now that the connection has been made its time to set up waves.
Step 6, Waves Setup
• Open Waves
• Open Waves Preferences
• (This is slightly different with each version of Waves)
• Under System Setup, Select Sync to Midi Tempo
• Under Control Setup Select Network and the correct name from Step 3
• For each effect you have running in waves, that you want to be controlled via Ableton Tempo.
• PRESS "HOST" inside each waves effects unit
• Go to show mode in Waves
• Play a track in Ableton
• You should see the BMP counter in the upper right of waves match that of the Ableton track
• SAVE ABLETON AND WAVES
• The Ableton prefs should carry with each new show
• The Waves prefs should carry with each new show
• After a computer restart you may need to re-"connect" inside the Audio Midi Setup (I had to after my 1st reboot but not the 2nd... Go Figure)
These are two websites that I found to be helpful in this process, keep in mind, they do not lay everything out and I did a fair bit of trial and error.